ROCKFORD — A broken gas line sparked a fire Saturday morning in Belvidere when gas leaking outside the home caught the house’s gas meter on fire, officials said.
Belvidere firefighters were called at 5:38 a.m. to a home in the 1200 block of Pearl Street for a report of a gas leak, Capt. Shawn Schadle said. While driving to the home, firefighters learned the gas meter on the single-story house was on fire.
No residents or firefighters were reported injured and damage was estimated at $500. Schadle said that somehow the gas meter was damaged and the gas then ignited. A woman and three children were home at the time, and the woman called 911 about the gas leak and subsequent fire.
The fire was ruled unintentional and not considered suspicious, Schadle said.
There were no working smoke detectors in the house, so firefighters installed two after getting permission from the residents. The home is inhabitable, Schadle said, so the residents do not need to seek alternative housing.
Kristen Zambo: 815-987-1339; firstname.lastname@example.org; @KristenZambo