FREEPORT — A house fire caused about $5,000 in damages to a home in the 400 block of South Float Avenue on Thursday.
Firefighters were dispatched to the house at 8:22 a.m. and found smoke emanating from near the base of the chimney. Crews extinguished the fire and cut a hole in the roof to assist with ventilation and fire control, according to a news release from the Freeport Fire Department.
An investigation determined and overheated wood stove pipe likely ignited the exterior of the house at the roofline.
A resident was able to get her five dogs and two cats outside of the house before firefighters arrived. No firefighters, civilians or pets were injured.
Red Cross is assisting the two residents with help from the Fire Department Chaplain.
Derrick Mason: 815-232-0133; firstname.lastname@example.org; @derrickhmason